The Centre of Excellence in Disaster Mitigation and Management was established at IIT Roorkee in March 2006 for national capacity building for management and mitigation of
natural and man-made disasters. The Centre has the following objectives.
- National capacity building in disaster mitigation through human resource development.
- Dissemination of technical know-how by conducting short term courses in disaster mitigation & management.
- Dissemination of technical know-how to meet the challenges arising of disasters through onsultancy services.
- Minimize the impact of natural and man made disasters through R & D and extension activities by providingengineering solutions in the area of disaster mitigation.
- Evolving strategies for mitigation and management of disasters and establishment of national technical database for rapid dissemination of information and knowledge.
- Conduct education and research in related areas leading to M.Tech and Ph.D. degree in Disaster Mitigation and Management.